Safe Candy for Braces
Halloween is probably the worst holiday to celebrate if you happen to have braces. Everywhere you go, it seems like there are jars, bags, and dishes filled with tempting candy. Unfortunately, since you are wearing braces you have to avoid almost all the sweet treats that tend to make an appearance around Halloween.
Just because you can’t eat some of your favorite candy and sweet treats doesn’t mean you can’t take part in some of the Halloween fun and festivities. It just means you have to make sure you are snacking on braces-friendly treats.
We have created a brief overview of some of the candies and treats that are safe to eat when you are wearing braces and those that are unsafe to eat. Use this list to help you find treats you can eat this Halloween season.
Foods that are Safe to Eat with Braces
We’ll be honest with you, there are going to be very few types of candy that you can enjoy when you are wearing braces. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any treats you will be able to enjoy, just that your options will be limited.
Some of the candies and snacks that are okay for you to eat when you are wearing braces include:
- Chocolate – If you weren’t a chocolate lover before you got braces, hopefully, you will be after you get them. You can eat any type of chocolate you want when you have braces as long as it doesn’t contain hard or sticky stuff like nuts or caramel.
- Chewy cookies – Make sure the cookies you eat are on the softer side. The hardest types of cookies should be avoided.
- Sliced apples with caramel sauce – make sure the sauce is thin. If the sauce is sticky, it could give you problems.
- Hard candies – Biting down on hard candies should be avoided. However, if you have the self-control, letting these types of candies dissolve completely is okay.
Don’t forget, anytime you have any sugar-containing foods such as candy, it is best to brush your teeth right afterward to avoid damage to your teeth like cavities or decalcification.
Candy that Absolutely Should be Avoided
Most of the candy you will probably get for Halloween will probably be considered off-limits if you are wearing braces. However, if you do eat them they can damage the wires and brackets of your braces.
The following types of candies are things you should make an effort to avoid if you are wearing braces:
- Peanut and Almond M&M’s, Skittles, and other little round candies – Many of these candies are either hard or sticky and thus should be avoided. Hard things are likely to cause damage to your appliances and sticky stuff can lead to damage to the teeth and/or pull cement out of the bands.
- Various types of brittle – these candies are super crunchy and sticky.
- Anything with popcorn – the shells of popcorn can easily work their way down into the gums and cause significant discomfort and even infections.
- Jelly beans
- Gummy candies
- Hard candy and lollipops (If you bite them)
Call Your Orthodontist if You Break Your Braces
Sometimes you can’t resist the temptation of all the candy that is around during Halloween. If you happen to eat some candy you shouldn’t and you damage the wires or brackets of your braces, call your orthodontist’s office and let them know. Many times, damage and breakage can lead to slowing down treatment as well as additional visits to the office, so it is important to follow instructions.
Depending upon when your next appointment is, the office may set up an emergency appointment to fix your braces. If your next scheduled appointment is fairly soon and you aren’t in any pain or discomfort, you may be able to wait.
If you live in the Melbourne, Florida area and have orthodontic needs, call Reddick Orthodontics.